Sapporo Community Interpreters
To help eliminate the language barrier at schools, childcare facilities, ward offices, etc., we dispatch volunteer interpreters who have been given a certain amount of training. In principle, these interpreters are sent out to city-related facilities.
Available date and time
Monday to Friday 9: 00-17: 30
English/Chinese/Thai/Russian/Vietnamese/Myanmar (Burmese)/Nepali/Cambodian/Mongolian/Korean/Indonesian ⇔ Japanese
* Interpreters are not currently available for other languages, but we are working to find volunteers for more languages.
Sapporo International Communication Plaza Foundation(SICPF), International Community Bureau
E-mail by mail, please use this form
How to use the service:
- Please contact the SICPF first to consult.
SICPF will consider the time schedule(s) and type of interpretation and decide whether it is possible to dispatch an interpreter.
- Typical users of this service include administrative agencies, schools, and the like. If there is a request from a foreign resident, the SICPF will contact each relevant institution and ask them to submit the "Dispatch Request Form (Form 1)".
※When the purpose of using the service is to visit daycare centers to enroll a child, the foreign resident will be required to submit a request form.
- ★On the day ★ As a general rule, interpretation should be no longer than two hours.
A SICPF staff may accompany the interpreter to help facilitate the interpretation service.
- Users are required to submit "Post-Use Questionnaire (Form 2)" to the SICPF within 14 days after using the service.
This program is funded by the Sapporo City, and SICPF will provide transportation expenses for the interpreters.
There is no expense for the users.
This service is available for:
- Parent-teacher meetings at schools, childcare facilities, etc.
- Orientation and procedures before admission to schools or daycare centers
- Public nurse home visits (infant check-ups)
- Infant health examinations
- Application for entering nursery school, preliminary visits to childcare centers before applying
- Procedures for pregnancy and childbirth etc. at ward offices
This service is not available for:
- Events, seminars, briefing sessions, etc.
- Medical interpretation at hospitals and other institutions
- Judicial interpretation at police stations, courts, and lawyers' offices
- Exams at school, learning support, use as a chaperone, non-interpretation related requests
- Form 1: Dispatch Request Form（Excel、PDF）
- Form 2: Post-Use Questionnaire(Excel、PDF）
- Flyers for foreigners(Japanese / English)
- Flyers for foreigners(Japanese / Chinese)
- Flyers for foreigners(Japanese / Vietnamese)
- Form 3:Request form for accompanyment to childcare facilities (for foreigners)（Word、PDF）
What services does it provide?
・A telephone operator helps you find hospitals. (Available 24 hours a day)
・A telephone operator makes a hospital appointment for you.
*Appointments and inquiries to the hospital can be made during the hours the hospital is open.
・Phone interpretation can be offered when talking to doctors or other medical staff at a hospital. (17 languages)
・Volunteer interpreters (only for English and Chinese) can accompany you to the hospital.
*You need to apply for this service several days before going to the hospital.
* Telephone charges will be at your own expense.
・ Inquiries to a hospital／phone interpretation
（English, Chinese, Cantonese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Portuguese, Spanish, Burmese, French, Russian, Thai, Hindi, Mongolian, Tagalog, Indonesian, and Farsi.）
※Interpretation in other languages may be available. Please contact the operator in advance.
・Volunteer interpreters: only for English and Chinese
When is it available?
Until March 31, 2023
Sapporo Medical Communication Hotline (City of Sapporo)
Medical interpreter’s volunteer groups in Sapporo, dispatching volunteer interpreters to hospitals or clinics
- NPO SEMI Sapporo（English）※
※Please send requests by email. It will be difficult to respond immediately to a last-minute request, so contact SEMI well in advance when you need their assistance.Emails can be sent at any time, but they are unable to respond at night.
- Sapporo Chinese Medical Interpretation Group(SCI) (Chinese）※
※Please send requests by email. They respond to emails from 9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday. It will be difficult to respond immediately to a last-minute request, so contact SCI well in advance when you need their assistance.
※When sending an email, please replace “(at)” with “@”.
- List of medical interpreters’ group（National Association for Medical Interpreters）Japanese
If you need an interpretation service other than “Sapporo Community Interpreters” or “Medical interpretation, please directly contact professional companies.