- Special Cash Payment for Households Exempt from Resident Tax（Updated:July 27）
- You receive the documents regarding repayment /exemption of Temporary Emergency Loan.
- Special Living Assistance Benefits to Low-income Child-Rearing Households（Updated:July 27）
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Sapporo
Request from Mayor of Sapporo
Request from Mayor of Sapporo(City of Sapporo)
- Points of Prevention of COVID-19"(City of Sapporo)
It is important that all residents of Sapporo continue working on measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Let us all come together and implement "a new lifestyle".
When you test positive
From September 26, 2022, people who test positive at medical institutions or Public Health Center's PCR centers with the following conditions are subject to notify and need to register with the "Medical Interview Site " by themselves.
Those who fall into the following conditions need to register with the " Medical Interview Site " by yourself.
・Those aged 65 and over
・Those who need hospitalization
・Those who are pregnant
・Those who are at risk of severe disease and require medications or oxygen therapy
*If you are not sure if you are entitled, please check with the medical institution where you did the PCR test.
If you have difficulty entering the information, call the "Entry Substitute Call Center at 011-350-5574 (9:00 to 20:00 every day) " and have them input on your behalf.
(Supports English, Chinese, and Korean via three-way call)
For the details, please see the Sapporo City website.
Except for those who mentioned the above, please recuperate at home and do the self-quarantine. (For 7 days in principle)
However, if it has been more than 24 hours since your symptoms subsided, or if you have no symptoms, you can go out for necessary shopping for food and other necessities. Please be sure tto perform infection prevent measures such as wearing a mask all the time.
If you would like to receive Life Support Supplies or a Medical Treatment Certificate and so on, please check the " Medical Treatment NAVI".
In order to apply for the Life Support Supplies and to issue a Medical Treatment Certificate, you will need to show the e-mail from the medical institution which notifed you that you tested positive or a notification paper given to you and a medical fare statement.
If you feel sick, consult your family doctor or the medical institution where you were tested, or call the "Positive Patient Support Center 0570-022-680 (8:00-21:00 daily) *Telephone interpretation available" or call #7119.
Those who fall into all of the following categories from ① to ⑦ should register with "Covid-19 Tested Positive Registration Center".
① Lives in Sapporo
② Those who were tested corona positive with the designated medical antigen test kit and it is within 9 days from the date of symptom occurrence. (The onset date is 0 days).
③ Symptoms are light and stable
④ No malignant tumors or leukemia.
⑤ Not dialyzed
⑥ No immunodeficiency disease such as HIV or cancer
⑦ Have a smartphone, tablet, or email address
Register with the "Covid-19 Tested Positive Registration Center " (Starts from May 1)
Enter your information such as name, address, date of birth, and your current health condition. And take a picture of the antigen test kit with the positive test result and upload it.
* This site is in Japanese only.
Within 24 hours after registration is completed, you will receive an e-mail from the health center about the test result and treatment. Please cooperate in self-restraint until you receive the e-mail.
For details, please refer to the Sapporo City website (automatic translation).
Those who have symptoms and wish to see a doctor, or those who do not meet one of the above ① to ⑦ and cannot use the registration center will be judged by a medical institution.
Please consult with your home doctor or a medical institution that provides medical care for those who have tested positive by self-test. You can search it from Sapporo City website, or Emergency Medical Consultation Center Sapporo # 7119 can also provide the information. (Reservation is required and some medical fee such as the first medical examination may be your own expense.)
If the symptoms get worse before the notification, please contact the Emergency Medical Consultation Center Sapporo # 7119.
Positive at PCR centers run by private sectors
Even if your result is "positive" from private PCR test centers, you cannot register with "COVID-19 Tested Positive Registration Center" or "Medical Interview Site" (= Sapporo City's Health Center does not consider you are COVID-19 positive).
The counter differs depending on your symptoms, so please check which counter suits you through WEB7119.
WEB7119 English (Auto translation)
When you feel sick
If you feel sick, please contact a “Coronavirus Consultation Center”.
Emergency Medical Consultation Center Sapporo（Coronavirus Consultation Center）
「#7119」 or「011-272-7119」24hour a day,365 days a year
※Once you hear Japanese auto-message, please press 0, and when you hear Japanese auto-message again, please press 1.
(If you get a sudden illness or injury other than COVID-19, please press 3 after you hear the Japanese auto-message.)
※Consultations are available in English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Malay, and Russian.
●Those who can speak Japanese、
You can check the medical institutions that provide outpatient care and examinations for patients with fever from the Sapporo City page. There is also a "fever outpatient map「発熱外来マップ」" so that you can search for medical institutions from the map.
You can also check for consultation on WEB7119.
|Sapporo City’s consultation Center||0570-085-789 everyday 9:00-21:00
|Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare||
Thai: 9:00-18:00Vietnamese: 10:00-19:00
Multilingual Visitor Hotline (24H) on New CoronavirusJapan National Tourism Organization (JNTO)
24 hour a day, 365 days a year
※Languages: English, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese
AMDA Medical Information Center Multilingual Consultation Service Regarding COVID19
Consultation in English
On weekdays 10:00 -16:00
Multilingual list of urgent symptoms when you get infected with COVID-19
When you get sick suddenly, use the words from the list to express your symptoms by yourself to the Health Center or medical institutions.
When you want to get tested
Free delivery of Medical Antigen Test Kits
Pharmacies are sending free medical antigen test kits to those who meet the following requirements.
- Those with symptoms such as fever (including those who had close contact with covid infected)
- Those who live in Sapporo city or stay for a long time
- Those who have symptoms such as fever and are suspected of having covid (including close contacts)
- Those who have mild and stable symptoms such as fever and are not at risk of aggravation
- Those who can collect specimens by themselves
- Those who can receive the kit by delivery
For details, please see the Sapporo City page.
Medical institutions that provide outpatient treatment and examinations for patients with fever.
You can check the medical institutions that provide outpatient care and examinations for patients with fever from the Sapporo City page.
There is also a "fever outpatient map「発熱外来マップ」" so that you can search for medical institutions from the map.
Free PCR/antigen testing (Hokkaido Government)
Regardless of your vaccination status, people who are worried about infection due to the spread of the Omicron variant can receive PCR and antigen tests at free testing stations registered by Hokkaido.
Status of Residence (Visa)
- Regarding Status of Residence (Visa) （Immigration Services Agency of Japan）
- Handling of residency for foreign nationals facing difficulty in returning to their home country
- Entry from overseas
Immigration Information Center
If you have lost your job or had a drop in your income
- Please check this page first.(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- Checklist of what to do when you leave (left) a company and are looking for work (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) Japanese
- Labour Standards Advice Hotline(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Multilingual support is available (English, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Burmese, Nepali)
List of support measures by the government (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Special Cash Payment for Households Exempt from Resident Tax（Updated: July 27）
Considering the long-lasting effects of COVID-19, a Special Cash Payment will be given to " Households Exempt from Resident Tax" (100,000 yen per household).
Foreign residents who have resident registration in Japan are eligible to receive this payment if they meet the following conditions.
For more details, visit Sapporo City's website
Be aware of scams and identity theft
- The government and the Sapporo City will NEVER ask you to operate an ATM, transfer fees for payment, or send an email asking you to use an URL for this benefit.
If you have got a suspicious phone call, letter or email , please contact the Consumer Center, a police station or a police headquarter (#9110).
- Be aware of fake websites that look like the government or the Sapporo City. If you see anything suspicious, like unfamiliar characters at the end of the URL, do not open the URL. Do your own search and check the real website.
Households that have been registered as residents in Japan as of December 10, 2021, and fall under either of the following 1 or 2.
1. Household exempt from resident tax:
(a)Those who have resident registration in Sapporo as of December 10, 2021, every one of the household should be exempted from the 2021 year tax (including households on welfare)
(b)Households registered as residents in Sapporo City as of June 1, 2022, and are exempt from resident tax for the 2022 year (including households on welfare benefits but, excluding households that have already received this cash payment before)
2. Households whose income level has dropped sharply:
Those who have resident registration in Sapporo at the time of application, and whose income level has dropped sharply due to the effect of COVID-19 are deemed to have the same income level as 1 above.
*See the table below for the amount of annual income equivalent to exemption from resident tax
|No. of dependents||Amount of annual income||
Tax exemption limit (Income amount)
|0||1,000,000 yen or less||
|1||1,560,000 yen or less||1,010,000 yen|
|2||2,057,000 yen or less||1,360,000 yen|
|3||2,557,000 yen or less||1,710,000 yen|
|4||3,057,000 yen or less||2,060,000 yen|
People with disabilities, widows, single parents, minors
|2,043,000 yen or less||1,350,000 yen|
*Both 1 and 2 exclude households consisting only of dependents of a taxpayer.
※The estimated annual income is the income for any one month between January 2022 and September 2022 multiplied by 12. There are four types of income: salary income, business income, property income, and pension income.
* Households that have already received this benefit in other municipalities are not eligible.
* Not applicable if a person in a single-person household dies before submitting the application form.
* Households that have been notified under a tax treaty and are exempt from residence tax are not eligible.
[How to Apply]
1. Household exempt from resident tax
Sapporo City will send a check sheet (see the picture of the envelope). Once you receive it, fill out the necessary part and mail it within three months from the mailing date.
The payment will be made approximately after three weeks from the date your application is received unless there are any mistakes in the document.
* 1 (a) The check sheet will be sent to the year 2021 tax-exempt households after the 1st of February, 2022, and 1 (b) year 2022 tax-exempt households are sent after the 6th of July 2022.
* 1 (b) households that have moved to Sapporo from another municipality after December 11, 2021, may not be sent a confirmation letter. If you think you are eligible, please contact the Temporary Special Benefits Consultation Call Center (050-3172-7731). The application form will be mailed.
Image of the envelope
↓English translation of the documents (Refer to the translation when filling out the form)↓
2. Households whose income level has dropped sharply
The following procedures are required. If there are no mistakes in the application documents, payment wil be made within one month from the date on which the City receives the application.
The application deadline is Friday, September 30, 2022. *Must be postmarked on or before the deadline.
(1) Call the Special Cash Payment Call Center（050-3172-7731）and tell them that the income of your household has dropped due to the effect of COVID-19 and it is equivalent to the tax exempted household.
(2) During the telephone conversation, the staff will ask you questions about your current situation. The application documents will be sent from the City.
(3) Once you have received the documents, fill out the necessary sections and prepare the following documents.
(A) Certificate of your current income, (B) Your ID, and (C) Photocopy of the passbook that shows the account details to which you wish to receive the payment.
(4) Put necessary documents described in (3) into the return envelope and send it to the City.
For persons who have been evacuated because of DV (e.g. violence by a spouse or other relative)
If you fall under the following conditions and are considered to be either 1. a household exempt from residential tax, or 2. a household whose income level has dropped sharply, you can apply to the municipality where you currently live to receive this benefit. For more details, contact the Special Cash Payment Call Center (050-3172-7731).
・A protection order has been issued under the Act on the Prevention of Spousal Violence.
・A "Certificate for the Protection of Victims of Spousal Violence" has been issued by a counselling center.
・The resident registration (Jumin-hyo) has been changed to the municipality of residence on or after the day following the reference date, and is subject to "support measures" such as restrictions on access to the basic resident register.
When you have questions about this Special Cash Payment, contact the call center below.
If you need help in filling out the application form, contact the Sapporo Help Desk for Foreign Residents.
- Special Cash Payment Call Center
Hours: Everyday between 9:00 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Italian, Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Tagalog, Nepali, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Malay, Khmer, Mongolian, Sinhalese, Hindi, Bengali
The support fund and allowance for the leave forced to be taken under the COVID-19 outbreak (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) Japanese
If you have not got the compensation during the leave of absence from work, you can apply for the compensation yourself.
Support for Continuous Employment （Immigration Services Agency of Japan)Japanese
Foreign workers who were affected by the spread of COVID-19 including technical interns who have difficulties in continuing their training, those who got dismissed from their company, international students whose offer of employment was cancelled are permitted to change their resident status to “Designated Activities” that allows them to work for a maximum of one year.
They can also receive a “Matching Assistance” from the Japanese Government to find a job.
Leaflet（Immigration Services Agency of Japan）
Housing Security Benefit(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Those who are finding it difficult to pay the rent due to income decrease resulting from business shutdown, etc. The rent may be paid to landlords for 3 (or up to 12) months. Conditions apply (e.g., your income, savings, etc.).
Ministry of Health, Labour and WelfareJapanese
Leaflet（Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare）
- [Self-reliance Support Center in Sapporo] STEP (Japanese only)
Temporary Loan Emergency Funds(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
These are loans with no interest for individuals struggling with living expenses due to loss of income and these must be repaid in full.
Emergency Small Amount Fund
[Emergency Small Amount Fund]
To households facing urgent temporary difficulties in maintaining their livelihood.
Maximum loan amount is 200,000yen and one time only.
General Support Funds
Support for living expenses until members of the household are able to recover their livelihood.
For single household, monthly fund can be up to 150,000yen for 3 months.
For households of more than 2 people, up to 200,000yen for 3 months.
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Japanese
Sapporo Social Welfare Council (Japanese only)
Leaflet（Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare）
Those who cannot borrow more General Support Fund (loans for necessary living expenses) from Social Welfare Council because they finished borrowing the maximum amount and so on and their income and savings are under specified amount may be eligible for “Self-reliance Support Money for People in Need”.
Eligible persons will receive the letter.
To receive the money, continuous job-searching activities (visiting Hellowork etc.) and submission of report to Sapporo City are required every month.
Please check Sapporo City’s website for details.
If you need support for application, checking the eligibility and so on, please contact SAPPORO HELP DESK for Foreign Residents.
Reduction or exemption of National Health Insurance premiums（City of Sapporo）
If you had a drop in your income by 30% from the previous year, your National Health Insurance premiums might be reduced or exepmpted.
Call Center：050-3612-6330（in Japanese）
※Hours：9:00～19:00（Mon-Fri, Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays）
Grace period for tax payment （Hokkaido Foreign Resident Support Center）
There is possibility to receive the grace period of payment for electricity, gas, water, NHK, cell phone and so on.
Need to contact each company for details.
School Expenses Assistance（City of Sapporo）
Assistance for school expenses such as school supplies, lunch, field trip and so on to the households with elementary and junior high schoolers whose income is a below certain amount.
Ask the schools for more details.
The City of Sapporo will provide "Temporary Special Benefits for Households Raising Children in Sapporo in FY2022" to support households raising children affected by coronavirus and the rising prices of goods, etc.
Households raising children born on or after April 2, 2004 (children under 20 years old for those with certain disabilities) are eligible for the benefits.
The first payment will be made on September 28 to the following households. Eligible persons will be sent a postcard (Picture) in order after August 24.
Postcard with Translation
[Eligible for September 28th payment]
[Eligible households] Households receiving Child Allowance (excluding public employees), Child-care allowances, and Special Child-care allowances from Sapporo City for April 2022 (including households that have moved out of the city since then).
*When you receive the postcard, please check the "Number of Children Eligible for Payment".
*There is no procedure to receive the allowance.
*For households with high school students, some applications may be required.
[Amount] 10,000 yen per child
[Payment Date］September 28th(Wed.), 2022
*The benefit will be transferred on September 28 to the bank account in which you are receiving the child allowance (or child-care allowance or special child-care allowance if you are not receiving the child allowance).
If there is a mistake in the "number of children eligible for benefits," or if you have any questions, please contact the SAPPORO HELP DESK for Foreign Residents or the following call center.
From September 2 onwards, applications （Refer to the photograph) will be sent from Sapporo City to households raising only high school students (children born between April 2, 2004, and April 1, 2007).
Households other than those listed above that only care for children born between April 2, 2004, and April 1, 2007, will receive an application form from the City of Sapporo after September 2, 2022.
If you receive the application fill it by referring to the following example.
For households eligible for this benefit and the application form has not arrived by early October, or if there are children who have moved from overseas after April 2022, please contact the call center or the Sapporo Consultation Desk for Foreign Residents.
- Sapporo City Temporary Special Benefit for Households Raising Children Call Center(Available only in Japanese)
Phone：050-3665-7660 Hours：Mon.-Fri. 9:00-18:00（Closed 12/29-1/3）
- SAPPORO HELP DESK for Foreign Residents
Temporary Special Benefits for Households Raising Children in Sapporo in FY2022（Sapporo City’s Child-Rearing Homepage）Japanese Only
Special Benefit will be given to low-inocome familes who have children. This is a one-time cash payment of 50,000 yen per child. Application may be required. （Updated:July 27）
- Special Living Assistance Benefits to Low-income Child-Rearing Households（for Single-Parent Households）(City of Sapporo) Japanese
- Special Living Assistance Benefits to Low-income Child-Rearing Households（for Single-Parent Households）(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) Japanese
- Special Living Assistance Benefits to Low-income Child-Rearing Households（for non-single-parent households） (City of Sapporo) Japanese
- Special Living Assistance Benefits to Low-income Child-Rearing Households（for non-single-parent households）(Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) Japanese
Benefits Call Center (Only available in Japanese)
TEL：050-3665-9810（Mon-Fri 10:00-18:00 Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays ）
If you need more information about the above or need support for applications, please contact Sapporo Help Desk for Foreign Residents.
Be careful of “Coronavirus” fraud
Be careful of “Coronavirus” fraud (City of Sapporo)
Please be aware of the points below.
- Public authorities will not ask for personal information in connection with the new coronavirus!
- Don't open emails from unknown senders!
- Don't initially trust the URLs in emails!
- Make sure you're on a legitimate site when you enter your ID, password, and credit card information!
- If you receive something you don't recognize, refuse to receive it!
- If you get a text message or a suspicious phone call from an unknown source, don't act on your own, always talk to the police or your family first!
Consultation Hotline（Japanese only）
- Police consultation number #9110（24hour a day, 365 days a year)
- Consumer Hotline 188（Weekdays, 10:00-12:00,13:00-16:00）
- National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan/Consumer Hotline regarding Special Cash Payment
TEL 0120-213-188 (Everyday 10:00-16:00 Free to call）
Please contact SAPPORO HELP DESK for Foreign Residents when you encounter any difficulty or concern.